3 days and 2 nights
This tour has been planned for people that have only a few days of availability to travel the Manu, but still want to see the best of the Manu Cultural Zone and be part of our reforestation project.
Day 01: Cusco - Cloud forest - Bamboo Lodge
Early in the morning, we start our 8-hour trip on a road that partly goes up to 4000 meters above sea level. On the way, we have a few stops, e.g. to see the pre-inka cemetery Ninamarca or to visit the famous folkloric village of Paucartambo (2900 m above sea level). Then we continue to “Acjanaco“, the park’s entrance. From here we go downhill through the cloud forest, where we can see a spectacular vegetation (orchids, ferns, bromeliads, begonias etc.). Maybe we have the chance to see the first mammals, like e.g. woolly monkeys or capuchin monkeys. Furthermore, we will visit the “Cock of the rock“ (rupícola peruviana), Peru’s national bird, to see it dancing its famous mating dance. On our further way we will see quetzals, tanagers, trogons, hummingbirds and other beautiful, colourful birds. We will take our breakfast, snacks and lunch on the road (included in the price). In the afternoon, we arrive at our Bamboo Lodge (700m above sea level), where we will have dinner and then spend the night in double rooms with private bath.
Day 02: Bamboo Lodge - Parrot macaw clay lick - Machuwasi - Bamboo Lodge
Before dawn we start our way to Atalaya (500 m above sea level) wherefrom we take our motorized boat and travel about 30 minutes down the river “Madre de Dios“ to visit the parrot macaw clay lick. Here we can watch impressive birds eating the natural clay that contains the salts and minerals that are essential for their alimentation. We enjoy an healthy breakfast at this special place, where water and earth meet and create a unique biodiversity. After breakfast, we visit the little lake “Machuwasi“, where we will see a lot of birds and a few mammals. In the afternoon after lunch, we take our boat to return to Atalaya. From there we go back to Bamboo Lodge by bus. Here we spend our second night. Optional night walk.
Day 03: Bamboo Lodge – Reforestation project - Cusco
We are aware of the great deforestation of the Amazon rainforest due to different factors like agriculture or illegal mining that destroy this wonderful ecosystem. Therefore, our biggest concern is the reforestation of the rainforest. After breakfast, you have the chance to become part of our reforestation project. You can plant a tree in our private recovery zone and so contribute to the recovery of our mother earth.
Then we start our way back to Cusco. On the way, our guide shows us some more of the flora and fauna. Lunch is provided on the way.
• professional, english speaking guide (with binoculars, telescope and knowledge about nature)
• private transport (bus and boat)
• professional cook and meals (vegetarian option), mineral water
• entry fee “Gallito de las rocas” (Cock of the rock) and entry fee parrot macaw clay lick
• overnight stays in lodges
• first-aid equpiment and snake venom extractor
• radio communication
• rubber boots
• alcoholic beverages, personal expenses
WHAT TO BRING?
• insect repellent
• rain coat or poncho
• sun hat
• longsleeved shirts and long pants
• sun screen and sunglasses
• bathing clothes (optional)
• towel and Handtuch and flip-flops/sandals
• day backpack (for walks and hikes)
• water bottle
• passport and confirmation of yellow fever vaccination
• money in Soles for beverages (water is provided, other beverages not) and eventually artesania/craftworks
• personal sanitary articles (toothbrush, shampoo etc.)
• good mood
• max. weight per person and piece of luggage: 15 kg.